Defeating the Ballista Tower

Francisco Zotto

Approved user
Hey there!
Recently I got into classical age and while attacking some cities, i discovered the power of ballista tower.
All my knights are killed in 1 shot.

How can I beat it?

Pharon

Approved user
If you have 8 to 10 knights and do a rally, usually you can take it out pretty easily. But if it's behind walls, you'll need a sabotage to hold it off while you chip through.

bingcrosby

Approved user
Swarm it. You only need to use sabotage on juicy medieval bases that have two towers. Just drop your cavalry away from it and swarm it with cheap troops.

Francisco Zotto

Approved user
Swarm it. You only need to use sabotage on juicy medieval bases that have two towers. Just drop your cavalry away from it and swarm it with cheap troops.

Nice tips, thanks.

i tried to swarm it, but my cavalry is too fast and the tower is always near to others defenses constructions, near enough to be hit.

but i will work to get sabotage.

thank everyone!

Alruin Domini

Approved user
Don't use Cavalry raiders... Use cataphracts or whatever heavy cavalry you have. One thing I'll often do is this, if there is only one ballista, send your cavalry in on the opposite side of the base. This way they'll take out an initial couple of defenses, then when they begin nearing the ballista, use rally to swarm it. Yeah you'll probably lose 1-2 of your cavalry, but you'll take out the ballista pretty quickly. After that the rest are pretty much no trouble... If there are two ballista close to each other, I'd recommend skipping that opponent until you gain access to sabotage, it's a war tactic you get once you upgrade the war academy to level 2.

Dhigse

Approved user
Swarm it with infantry or knights, OR Sabotage it AND THEN swarm it with infantry or knights.

The Prince

Approved user
Hey there!
Recently I got into classical age and while attacking some cities, i discovered the power of ballista tower.

How can I beat it?

You need to place your troops nicely and time it as well. Your Knight ( Classical or Medieval? ) are attacking the nearest defense tower, garrison, stable and so ...

When I was in the Classical, I will place few infantries ( the cheapest army ) to hit the building near Ballista and when these small armies march towards the Ballista, I will rally my archers and Cataph to down the Ballista without any Cat down or max 2-3 small troops downed.

You will face diffilculty if you are attacking a based with 2 ballistas and 2 catapults unless you have sabotage and to take down the base with more troops and mercenaries.

Pharon

Approved user
Use cataphracts or whatever heavy cavalry you have. One thing I'll often do is this, if there is only one ballista, send your cavalry in on the opposite side of the base. This way they'll take out an initial couple of defenses, then when they begin nearing the ballista, use rally to swarm it. Yeah you'll probably lose 1-2 of your cavalry, but you'll take out the ballista pretty quickly. After that the rest are pretty much no trouble... If there are two ballista close to each other, I'd recommend skipping that opponent until you gain access to sabotage, it's a war tactic you get once you upgrade the war academy to level 2.
This is exactly what I do. Usually I don't even lose one HC if I use the rally. Then again, I'm Greek and I think HC has higher HP than other civs HC.

Funken_A

Approved user
Hey there!

How can I beat it?

I use my knights, but what I will do is launch my troops just far enough out of range away from the the balista tower and let them break down wall near it. Once they start getting in range of the balista tower I rally everything to the tower for a quick takeout

If they are double wlled then you have to time a rally just the same but you can expect to lose a knight or 3

UPGRADE YOUR KNIGHTS of course

Zloca

Approved user
Rally all your HC troops while they're still together as they're approaching the ballista. Time it so that the speed boost from rally lasts exactly until they get to the ballista. That way the ballista only has 1 shot and that ought not to kill your HC troop. Never happened to me in 1 shot anyway, but I'm greek and my special troop is the companion which has more HP. Still a level 1 ballista does 966 dps and I'm assuming your knights must have more than that?

Joe Bamboo Wissmann

Approved user
Honestly I wouldn't recommend even using Knights until you are in GunPowder Age. Just stick with the soilders and archers they are the best way to attack rapidly and farm the loot you need.

Zloca

Approved user
What Lvnatic said. I usually lose 0 troops in any attack. And I still have to play loads to loot enough to do everything.